F.R.I.E.N.D.S! A decade of sneak peek into the American lives for people who were too late for Seinfeld! The “I’ll be there for you”, the “how-you-doin’s”, the “backpacking in Barcelona”. It was what made us adapt to our starting days at college, the series which forged new friendships among many and here are my reasons as to why Indians love and adore this old series so freaking much..
- The One With the Weird Similarities- I am sure that in your friend group there are people with odd similarities with the characters in the show. There is always a funny wisecrack, the handsome one who loves the women way too much to stick to one, the nerd/geek who falls in love with the prettiest girl, the strict one who is also the glue that holds the group together, the crazy one with even crazier stories, the darling of the group who is always the newcomer and the center of attraction.
- The One With the Hymen Knot- I know many of us started watching American sitcoms/ TV series in the first year of college or in 11th and 12th. We had heard of how awesome “F.R.I.E.N.D.S” was from a distant cousin who is older to you and we knew “Jennifer Aniston”, so this was the first time for us. We dive in the huge ocean of quality TV with this show. We broke our virginity to “F.R.I.E.N.D.S” and the firsts are always special; first love, first kiss, first proposal, etc. (You got the drift, didn’t you?)
- The One with the Cool factor- Well, New York is one of the most popular places in the world. It has been cited as the greatest city in the world. It is a dream to hangout in a coffee shop with our friends in a city like that and also have our life sorted out. Dating is relatively new in India and we like the idea of getting to know someone over a cup of coffee or dinner. The night is full with endless possibilities. We usually see how cool they are, the cool things they do, the cool places they hangout. The show usually focuses on how awesome and fun their lives are, we all want fun. People are not judged as much, there’s endless freedom and the world’s your oyster. That thought excites us, doesn’t it?
All the above mentioned reasons are supplementary to:
- Comic Timing of Chandler.
- The sensitivity and friendship of Joey.
- Ross’ geekiness.
- Phoebe for being weird and awesome.
- Monica for being persnickety about small things.
- Rachel for “Being Rachel”.